On March 31st 2021 – Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada launched an online permanent residence application portal allowing some economic applicants to submit their immigration demand online. The digitalization of the immigration process was accelerated because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Applicants submitting a permanent resident application under the following programs now have the option to apply online:
- Non-Express Entry (base) Provincial Nominee Program, including the Start-Up Visa
- Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot
- Agri-Food Pilot
- Atlantic Immigration Pilot
- Quebec Selected Investor Program
- Quebec Entrepreneur Program
- Quebec Self-Employed Persons Program
It must be noted that applicants are still able to submit their permanent resident application by paper. However, the online portal should help to avoid COVID-related mailing delays and might lead to shorter processing times.
It is expected that other immigration programs will eventually also have access to the Permanent residence online application portal.